Tools & Best Practices
VBY shares documents, training podcasts & videos, and resources that have been produced for VBY by professional trainers, consultants or national organisations for the benefit of all Yukon non-profit agencies.
Table of Contents (all our podcasts are on CJUC 92.5 FM - Whitehorse Community Radio and air during the Volunteer Yukon show, every Wednesday at noon)
- Managing Volunteers
- Assessment Tools
- Financial Reporting
- Human Resources Management
- Privacy/ Information Protection
- Liability Insurance
- Building Partners in Yukon
- 2012 Edition of the Screening Handbook: Tools and resources to better match people and organisations, improve the safety and quality of programs in communities and reduce risks and liability. Prepared by Volunteer Canada.
- Volunteer Recruitment & Retention by Linda Casson.
- Board Roles & Responsibilities by Christiane Boisjoly.
- 2011 Volunteer Management by Gael Marchand: This presentation covers the basics of volunteer management particularly for matching Yukon volunteers with appropriate opportunities. (Presented during the YHMA Symposium 2011).
- Rethinking Volunteer Engagement: A thought-provoking essay calling on organisations across the country to review and rethink the ways in which they involve volunteers.
- Best Practices Volunteer Management: This made-in-Yukon guide is intended to help NGO's develop a framework for your on-going work with volunteers.
- Volunteer Recruitment and Retention (Video) by Crystal Shimoon: Recruiting and retaining volunteers requires a people-centred approach to everything that you do. There is no one set 'strategy' that will determine the success of your organisation's ability to find and keep volunteers.
- Assessment Tools for Nonprofits: The HR Council has developed a series of checklists to help small nonprofits evaluate their organisation’s performance and identify individuals with responsibility for key indicators in seven functional areas.
- Smart Partnership Checklist: An Assessment Tools for Small Nonprofits.
- Board Assessment Tool: This 3-page checklist helps boards evaluate how their performance on a broad range of board operations, roles, and responsibilities.
- NGO Assessment Tool ("Is Your House in Order?"): This 4-page checklist, similar to the Board Assessment Tool, covers the functions of the whole organisation.
- Financial Responsibilities by Muttart Foundation and Alberta Culture & Community Spirit: Financial Responsibilities of Not-for-Profit Boards is a self-guided workbook written for the policy governing board member who has little or no financial background.
- Financial Reporting Policy: Sample from a Yukon Non-profit organisation.
- Reporting to Canada Revenue Agency.
- Best vs. Prohibited Fundraising Practices.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Occupational Health & Safety in the Non-Profit Sector (podcast)- 2016 VBY Workshop Series - Mike Kramer - Occupational Health & Safety in the Non-Profit Sector
- Office Manager Duties.
- Treasurer Duties.
- Sample Job Description (Executive Director).
- Sample Job Contract (Volunteer Manager).
- Sample Request for Proposal
- Hiring Process: Human Rights Tips for Employers
- Succession Planning (checklist) for Non-Profits: by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon
- Succession Planning (podcast) by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon in partnership with Council of Yukon First Nations
- Privacy Principles - A Guide for Organisations: The following policy template was developed by Privacy Consultant Hank Moorlag. The template incorporates 10 universal privacy protection principles that will afford organisations a high standard of privacy protection for personal information.
- Privacy Self-Audit Outline: The purpose of this self-audit is twofold: to better understand why the organisation collects personal information, and how personal privacy is protected by the organisation’s collection, use, disclosure, retention and destruction practices. By Volunteer Trainer Hank Moorlag.
- The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has prepared this guide to help organisations fulfil their responsibilities under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA): PIPEDA Guidelines, Part 1 & PIPEDA Guidelines, Part 2. By Volunteer Trainer Hank Moorlag.
- Privacy & Protection Rules for Non-Profit Organisations (podcast) by Volunteer Trainer Hank Moorlag
LIABILITY / INSURANCE
- Directors’ Liability: A Discussion Paper on Legal Liability, Risk Management and the Role of Directors in Non-Profit Organisations by Volunteer Canada: [PDF - 69.6 kb] Directors’ Liability
- Liability & Insurance seminars: Insurance Toolkit (podcast)by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon in partnership with Yukon Government (Community Services)
- Liability & Insurance seminars: Directors & Officers Liability (Part 1) (podcast) by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon in partnership with Yukon Government (Community Services).
- Liability & Insurance seminars: Directors & Officers Liability (Pat 2) (podcast) by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon in partnership with Yukon Government (Community Services).
- Introduction to Risk Management for Nonprofits and Charities (podcast) by Imagine Canada
- Policies for non-profit organisations (podcast) by volunteer trainer Linda Casson.
PARTNERSHIP BUILDING IN YUKON
- Partnership Building in Yukon: The intent of this document is to serve as a relevant, practical partnership reference tool. This tool will help organisations review their partnering practices to be better partners. This document is the collective effort of the Yukon Literacy Coalition (YLC) with its partners including delegates of the recent Partnership Forums, volunteer writers, researchers and the Volunteer Yukon (VY).
- Sponsorship: Volunteer Yukon Sponsorship Kit (for example): One way for Volunteer Yukon to become more sustainable and less dependent with governments funding is to look for sponsors.
- SMART Partnerships by Volunteer Trainer Patti Balsillie
- Sponsorship for NGOs by Volunteer Trainer Darielle Talarico from Tipping Point Strategies
- Media Panel (podcast): How to navigate the media
- Practical Public Engagement for Effective Decision-Making (podcast) by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon and John Glynn-Morris
- NGOs recording their own radio announcements (podcast) by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon, RP Singh and Julie Ann Ames (from Yukon Learn)
- Aging Well Expo Panel by Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon in partnership with Yukon Council on Aging
- PREB Certificate example 1: VBY can help you to recognise your volunteers. For more information, please click here
- PREB Certificate example 2
- Arctic Inspiration Prize (Video): Up to $3 million dollars is awarded across 3 prizes to distinguished teams. The awards are to be put towards the proposed plan; they are not personal cash prizes. In partnership with VBY, Arctic Inspiration Prize delivered a presentation in Whitehorse on June 14, 2018, at the Francophone Centre.